Ascendant Studios is looking for a talented and creative environment artist to help bring our first title to life. This is a full time, on site position at our office in San Rafael, California. Prior work on an AAA title, or in the Unreal Engine, is a big plus, and our ideal applicant will be able to work independently alongside design to come up with and execute fantastical level ideas.
- Create efficient in-game models, UV’s and materials for both organic and inorganic environments, including props, foliage suites, and modular kits
- Prototype and grey block assets and environments, collaborating closely with level designers to uphold gameplay and flow as well as aesthetics
- Work with the Art Director to maintain artistic style and quality in the environments (including asset and material creation, lighting, and level build out)
- Maintain a balance of art quality versus performance in the game engine
- Work with the art director and designers to come up with new level concepts and gather reference
- Give, receive, and make changes to your work based on constructive feedback
- 5+ years experience as an Environment Artist or other role responsible for creating game-ready assets in a full-cycle game development studio
- Understanding of modularity and environment systems used in fast, iterative, and efficient production
- Experience in game engine environment setup (lighting, time of day, fog/skyboxes, palette control, and post process effects)
- Understanding of modern materials and shaders and a high level of proficiency with Maya, Zbrush, and Substance Designer/Painter
- Strong traditional art fundamentals, including the function of form and color, proportions, shape, etc.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to identify and resolve issues, and understanding of technical dependencies
Good to Have
- Familiarity with Houdini, World Machine, SpeedTree, or other industry standard software.
- Previous work with Unreal Engine
- Previous experience working on an AAA, 1st person, console title
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your application materials. Please include the job title you’re applying for in the email’s subject line.