Ascendant Studios is looking for a multi-talented Senior Concept Artist to develop the look of our AAA title from the ground up. Our ideal candidate has an unrivaled imagination, exceptional foundational art skills, and can generate a large number of unique ideas very quickly. Their portfolio must demonstrate skills across a variety of topics (characters, creatures, environments, props, etc.) as well as both final rendered pieces and early explorational thumbnails.
- Work closely with the art director and creative director to establish look of the game and its world.
- Concept a wide variety of characters, objects, environments, and VFX. If it exists, we’ll probably need you to draw it.
- Create a large number of thumbnails to explore varied ideas, as well as final rendered pieces to inspire the team and external parties.
- Generate orthographics, turnarounds, and material callouts to aid in modeling assets and level creation.
- Give and receive constructive feedback. Iterate on designs based on team feedback and gameplay needs.
- 3+ years experience as a concept artist in games or the entertainment industry
- Exceptional foundational art skills, such as color theory, shape language, composition, lighting, and perspective.
- Superior understanding of anatomy and mastery of life drawing with ability to illustrate exciting and dynamic character poses.
- Ability to generate a large number of varied ideas quickly, getting across the most important elements in an efficient manner.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to both give and receive constructive feedback. We are looking for someone who is a great collaborator and team player.
- Fantastic imagination and the drive to concept a world from the ground up, with a focus both on stunning visuals and believable construction principles.
- Exceptional ability to develop and follow a set art style.
- Proficiency with Photoshop.
- Great visual research and reference skills.
- A portfolio demonstrating art across a variety of subjects, including characters, environments, architecture, props, and creatures, as well as including sketchbook materials.
- A passion for games.
Good to Have
- Work in a professional production environment strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in the videogame industry, especially on an AAA title.
- Experience with 3D packages such as Maya, Blender, Sketchup, Modo, etc.
- Interest in other areas of art and games, such as graphic design, level design, UI/UX, etc.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your application materials. Please include the job title you’re applying for in the email’s subject line.